St John’s with St Luke’s Bilton , Harrogate
St John’s Church, Bilton, is a large Victorian building on the east side of Harrogate, designed by the leading Victorian Architect Sir George Gilbert Scott, and consecrated on 12th November 1857 by the Bishop of Ripon.
Today St John’s welcomes people of all ages and backgrounds and seeks to be a Family Church in the fullest sense, aiming to put Christ at the heart of our community. The church’s mission is to be a ‘Worshipping Community, Passionate in Loving Jesus Christ, Committed to Loving Others.’
St John’s is linked to St Luke’s nearby, which was a separate parish formed in the 1890’s. The former church is now used for flats and the church meets at St Luke’s Church Centre which was converted in the 1970s into a multi-purpose building, providing facilities not only for worship but other events. The building was dedicated by the Bishop of Knaresborough on St Luke's Day, 18th October 1974. In the 1970’s and 80’s St Luke’s was linked with St Wilfrid’s Church, but a new link was created with St John’s in 1996 and the parish is now called the parish of Bilton St John and St Luke. The Team Vicar of St Luke’s is the Revd Darren McClintock.
St. John’s & St Luke’s community is made up of all ages, from the youngest crèche members to more mature worshipers. There are currently about 200 adults and 50+ children combined, with an average Sunday Service or around 200 at St John’s and 40 at St Luke’s.
Currently St John’s is going through the vacancy process and seeking a new Team Rector.
The church encourages everyone to grow as a follower of Christ as a member of a small group, each aiming to care for one another with a mixture of prayer, Bible study and discussion. Groups usually meet fortnightly in a home . There are also midweek cell groups for young people in years 9 and above. It is a place where young people can learn more about who Jesus is and seek to encourage one another to grow in faith.
For more about this lively family church visit the parish website at http://bilton-cofe.org.uk/