Religious Education (RE) is part of the Statutory Inspection of Anglican and Methodist Schools (SIAMS) Evaluation Schedule (2018).
The aspects and extent to which RE is inspected differs according to the type of school which is being inspected.
In all schools and academies RE is inspected as part of Strand 7: The Effectiveness of RE. A close consideration of the six other strands, however, will possibly lead to the conclusion that RE has much to offer in these following areas:
- Srand 1 - Vision and Leadership
- Strand 2 - Wisdom, Knowledge and Skills
- Strand 3 - Character Development: Hope, Aspiration and Courageous Advocacy
- Strand 4 - Community and Living Well Together
- Strand 5 - Dignity and Respect
- Strand 6 - The Impact of Collective Worship
Also inspected is whether the arrangements for RE meet statutory requirements.
In voluntary aided schools and where denominational RE is required in the academy funding agreement, RE is inspected and reported as a separate section of the SIAMS inspection.
The report will take the form of a continuous narrative where the strands mentioned above are woven together, rather than the separate elements as used to be the case.
Further information can be found in the SIAMS section of the website.
Please see the full Schedule below.